Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: OT: Using gain control Wisely????

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Using gain control Wisely????

    Wow!

    Those are a couple of the most complicated routes i've seen to come up with a 60hz test tone.

    Honestly, most rat's nests of wiring don't bother me, much. I have some of my own.

    But, fundamentally it's a good idea to keep your AC mains rat's nest well separated from your signal rat's nest, and your low impedance signal lines(speaker cables).
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  2. #22
    HB Super Moderator
    OT: Using gain control Wisely????


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Using gain control Wisely????

    Wow!

    Those are a couple of the most complicated routes i've seen to come up with a 60hz test tone.

    Honestly, most rat's nests of wiring don't bother me, much. I have some of my own.

    But, fundamentally it's a good idea to keep your AC mains rat's nest well separated from your signal rat's nest, and your low impedance signal lines(speaker cables).
    I agree.. I always try to bundle up the separate cables to keep them away from the signal cables the best that I can.

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Using gain control Wisely????

    Might help to wrap them in alum. foil for a bit of extra shielding same as was once done to spark plug wiring to keep them from ruining the radio's performance.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Using gain control Wisely????

    Yes, I need some sort of towel racks hanging out from the back to hang the wires from. Plus another gaggle of 3' long cables.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Using gain control Wisely????


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Using gain control Wisely????

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Might help to wrap them in alum. foil for a bit of extra shielding same as was once done to spark plug wiring to keep them from ruining the radio's performance.

    GM
    nothing like a set of whittaker plug wires to solve that. (if they still sold them )
    Sonic Barbarian

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member dbale's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2007
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Using gain control Wisely????

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    It's actually worse.

    12


    I feel deprived.


    DSC_2020asm.jpg

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Using gain control Wisely????

    Ok, I have finally recouped enough from my high school reunion to report back. Wifey said to get an over the door coat hanger thingy, so I did. After rebending the over the door part, it looped over the wire shelf and worked great for hanging the wires into separate areas. Can't take pictures since I have tore the speakers apart to replace the scabbed together 1"x3/4" particle board front and back panel screw flanges w/ 2" gaps everywhere and stripped out screws.

    Boy, I had no idea DJing was that hard, what a tough crowd. It took forever to get those 58 year old dorks loose enough to start dancing, and Pandora wasn't doing it, but a classmate with an I phone wanted to plug in and it amazes me that people want to dance to the worst music ever. Eventually, everyone was dancing and my Altecs where the hit of the party.

    The Behringer UCA202 showed up as we where pulling out of our driveway and worked flawlessly and made everything off of the computer sound 1000% better. I have since downloaded Audacity and will soon try my luck at converting and fixing all of my old, scratched LP's to CD.

    Unfortunately, I caught the world's worst cold kissing all of my old girlfriends.

    Edit: Its also amazing how different things sound in a large convention hall verses a 14 x 36 foot room.
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; August 8th, 2014 at 08:26 AM.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.